Last week I posted my healthy and filling twist on Starbucks’ signature fall drink, the Pumpkin Spice Latte. I decided to continue the fall-themed trend this week, this time taking on an all-American favorite – apple pie.
Yes, pumpkin is the quintessential fall flavor, but nothing beats the smell and taste of warm, gooey apple pie.
There’s something about apples that brings back memories of school starting, the crispness of the air when summer turns to fall, and the smell of hot, mulled cider from family trips to the local orchard. Apples evoke a sense of nostalgia, and the aroma of apple pie only enhances this.
While I’ve had no shame in stealing a bite (or two) of leftover apple pie from the fridge the morning after enjoying the savory homemade treat for dessert, my eating habits are a bit different now that I am plant based. As such, I’ve learned to adapt certain recipes so that I can still partake in many of my seasonal favorites.
Because breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, I decided to make a version of apple pie that is fully acceptable to eat before noon. Better yet, this version is vegan, gluten free, and packed with fiber, omega-3s, and antioxidants!
If you make my hearty and nutritious twist on this all-American classic, I’d love to know about it! Tag @theplantbasedpalate in a photo on Instagram, or leave a comment below!
Apple-Cinnamon & Chia Breakfast Bowl
A hearty and nutritious take on apple pie.
- 2 granny smith apples, cored and divided
- 5-6 medjool dates, pitted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- raw walnuts
- Finely dice one of the granny smith apples and add to a small mixing bowl.
- Take the other granny smith apple and cut it into large pieces.
- Add the apple pieces to a blender/food processor along with the dates and cinnamon.
- Pulse the mixture several times and then let it process for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour the apple-date mixture into the bowl with the diced apple and stir in the chia seeds.
- Divide into two mason jars and refrigerate overnight.
- Top with walnuts and sprinkle with cinnamon. ENJOY!