I’ve never been a huge fan of bananas (it’s a texture thing), but that quickly changed when I came across the Spelt Banana Bread from Run Fast Eat Slow!
While I’m completely plant-based now, the journey began as an experiment back in January. I decided to eat exclusively from Run Fast Eat Slow and also to go vegetarian. The decision was inspired by the Rich Roll Podcast with Shalane Flanagan and Elyse Kopecky. I wanted to see how switching to a whole-food vegetarian diet would affect my training cycle for the LA Marathon. [For the full scoop, check out the full post here!]
During my experiment, the Spelt Banana Bread became one of my all-time favorite recipes from Run Fast Eat Slow. I would make muffins almost weekly because they were so easy to grab and go before a workout and they helped keep me satiated and fueled.
When I decided to go fully plant-based in May, I knew I’d have to alter the recipe to make it animal-product free. This proved to be an easier task than I expected, and the result was AMAZING.
I swapped flax + water for the eggs and unsweetened applesauce for the butter. And while I have no dietary issues with gluten, this recipe adaptation is gluten free simply because I was out of spelt flour so I used leftover teff flour that I had in my pantry from the Run Fast Eat Slow Double Chocolate Teff Cookies.
Naturally gluten free, teff is a nutritional powerhouse. Compared to other grains, it has a much larger percentage of bran and germ so it’s a very good source of dietary fiber, protein, iron, amino acids, vitamin C, and calcium. Another teff flour benefit is that the calcium content significantly surpasses that of all other grains.
I’ve made this banana bread (and muffins) for my gluten-free friends as well as for my non-vegan, gluten-loving family, and they all wholeheartedly approve!
If you make this wholesome, whole-grain treat, I’d love to know about it! Tag @theplantbasedpalate in a photo on Instagram, or leave a comment below!
Banana Bread Muffins (vegan + gluten free)
A wholesome, whole-grain treat for savoring or enjoying on the go.
- 1 ½ cups teff flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon himalayan pink salt
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground flax + 6 tablespoons water
- 1 ½ cups mashed ripe banana
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- ½ cup Enjoy Life chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a muffin pan with 12 paper muffin cups.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat together flax + water, applesauce, and sugar until combined. Add bananas and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Fold in walnuts and chocolate chips.
- Fill each cup with batter, then bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20-25 minutes.
- Let cool 10-15 minutes. Enjoy!
For banana bread, spray loaf pan with cooking spray. Pour batter into loaf pan and spread evenly. Bake until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 40-50 minutes.